things to come

Maybe it was because she is turning 7 in 10 days.

Maybe it was  because I have been spring cleaning her room and finding toddler toys and clothes that somehow made it this far.

But this week I have been thinking a lot about how old she is getting and missing some of the things that came with her being a littler girl.

The sweet sayings are gone because now she knows how to pronounce them the right way.

She fixes her own hair and only once in awhile do I get to do that.

She gets herself ready for bed (although I still get snuggle time with her :))

She doesn’t need help with things she used to need help with.

Her toys are becoming bigger kid toys.

I was feeling sad about the time and things that are gone.

But then last night as she was reading her book for homework I started realizing there are so many more great things that she is doing now that I couldn’t enjoy before that I could now.

Now she has read since kindergarten but just last night I noticed how great she is doing.  How she is using her strategies to figure out words she doesn’t know.  How if she says a word wrong she realizes it and goes back and fixes it.  How she is reading with expression.  How she is reading harder books than I thought she could.

And this morning as I drove her to school I loved hearing her read her library book to me.

Something that I wasn’t able to enjoy when she was little because she didn’t know how.  Made me start feeling excited about all the things to come and not so sad about the things that are gone.

2 thoughts on “things to come