Last minute is sometimes better

As we get older and have families and responsibilities and jobs and move farther away it is hard to make plans with friends.

I am lucky to still have 6 very close friends from high school and college.  It is very hard to get together now that we are older. What is funny is that if we try to make plans too far in advance something happens and someone can’t make it or a child gets the flu. But I’ve come to realize that if it’s s last minute plan things seem to come together much easier.

About two weeks ago I was thinking about my spring break and how it was going to end with Reese being out of town with her dad and how it would encompass a special anniversary for me and John. So I thought maybe we can get away for a night.

Somewhere close but fun.

Thinking about what we like to do I found that we could go to Four Winds Casino and get a room for a really good price.  We could stay the night, hit some breweries on the way and gamble a bit.  Even though it was less than two weeks away I expanded the invite to my close girlfriends who are local not expecting anyone to be able to make it work. Surprisingly two of the couples were totally free. That never happens. Awesome!

So last night with very little notice for working families with kids in lots of extra curricular activities three couples who rarely get to see each other got to eat, drink, gamble and catch up just like that.  It was a great way to end my spring break and made me realize that sometimes future plans just don’t work; sometimes it’s the last minute ideas that work out best!

5 thoughts on “Last minute is sometimes better

1. Fun! I am so glad you were able to enjoy your time with your friends. You’re right, sometimes last minute plans are the best plans.

2. I agree. Those last minute plans always turn out better than the overplanned ones. Sounds like a great time!

3. I totally agree that last minute planning is the way to go! The way the world runs today, things change at the drop of a hat. Always hard for a planner like me, but I just try to go with the flow and that seems to work so much better. Glad you got to spend some quality time with friends!