Our Little Chat

This past Friday was a designated county institute day which meant no kids.  And although I knew my brain would be fried at the end and it would drive me nuts to be sitting all day and I would be thinking about the million others things I wish I could have been doing in my classroom, I was looking forward to an earlier Friday dismissal and not having to wear all my “teacher hats “ for the day.

As I was reflecting on the day and thinking about my kiddos on my car ride home, which I swear I cannot turn off, I found myself REALLY missing a part of my school day.  The weekday didn’t seem right.  I was missing our little chat.

I have a special student in my afternoon kindergarten class who, when we are outside of the classroom is attached to me.  I don’t mind, he is a very sweet boy and I enjoy him so much.

So of course our hand holding (at his insistence) is a must on our way out of school, which I love because we get a chance to have our little one on one chat.  Which when you teach a bunch of 5 and 6 year olds is hard to do every day with each student, especially with one that is quiet and has some trouble communicating and following along with our daily activities such as my little friend.

Every day, for the past 2 weeks, we have shared a very similar version of the same little chat.  And if you knew this little boy and could hear his little voice and see his big eyes looking up at you..  well.. I guarantee you would love it too!

M: Ma Doden (No that’s not my name but that is how he pronounces it) are you hungwy? (only tilting his head slightly but looking at me through the corner of his eyes, turning his big brown eyes up at me)

Me: No M, I’m not hungry. Are you hungry?

M: Yes I am hungwy. Are you thirsty? (Same look with his eyes up to me)

Me: Yes M, I’m a little thirsty. Are you thirsty?

M: Yes.  You need a wink. (Nodding his head with authority)

Me: Yes M I do need a drink.

M: What you going to wink? (Same look with those big eyes again-love love love that look)

Me: Probably some water.

M: No juice! (sweetly correcting me)

Me: You think I should have juice instead?

M: Yes (nodding approvingly)

Me: What kind of juice should I have?

M: Hmmm (looking up in the sky-same way he looks at me, tapping his little finger to the side of his head, followed by him looking back at me with his usual look)  Stawbwy juice.

Me: Sounds yummy M.  I will definitely have to try and have some strawberry juice.

M: (Huge smile) Okay Ma Doden

That simple, daily conversation, has guaranteed a happy end to my school days for almost 2 weeks now.  And today, although I was happy it was Friday and I had an earlier dismissal and enjoyed having a long overdue extra day of not having to wear my “teacher hats” all day long I think I would have been a little happier and would have loved to have ended my day (my week) with that conversation.

4 thoughts on “Our Little Chat

1. This is so adorable, Lori! I think it is those small moments that make teaching so special; the connections we make and it’s obvious your little kiddo adores you!