Sparty House

In my marriage vows it wasn’t said aloud but I am pretty sure after  “For better or worse, in sickness and health” it included the words, “For Michigan State, winning or losing”.

That’s right, my husband is a Michigan State alumni and a lifelong die hard fan of the Spartans.  Like he knows everything about the players (both current and past).  He can rattle off stats at the drop of  hat.  He will spend hours talking about it with you if you let him.  Over the 13 years we have been together I have grown into one too.  I am definitely not complaining.  My Alma mater is not a Big Ten team like Michigan State is so it is exciting to have some kind of tie to a team at their level.

When football season comes around or March Madness, our day to day lives can be affected by the outcome of Spartan games.  If you are a college basketball fan you will know that the Spartans won the Big Ten tournament so our house is a happy one..  Until Friday when they play in the first round (and hopefully the next 5 rounds as well) of the March Madness tournament.

My husband will be nervous; always more nervous about the Spartan game then anything else EVER.  His stomach will be upset, he will be stressed.  Reese and I will try and avoid him.  He probably won’t watch the game, just tape it- because watching the game is just too much for him.  He can’t handle it.

Even if the Spartans win he will re-watch the game and still get upset and mad over bad calls, bad plays and when they are not winning; even though he knows that they end up winning.

He will make up new swear words and names I (or probably anyone else) have never heard of, as he yells at the refs, players and coaches; even though he knows that they end up winning.

He will pace back and forth mumbling angry things under his breath; even though he knows that they end up winning.

After the win he will rewind to certain plays, and talk excitedly about what happened and you will see the happiness in his face, hear it in his voice.  I will get to hear the life stories of players.  Get to watch slow motion replays while he narrates what is going on.  I will try and stay as interested in it as I can, for as long as I can.

If they don’t win..  Well, we never speak of that.

Yes we are a Sparty house, especially for the next few weeks (hopefully).

2 thoughts on “Sparty House

1. Woah, this is a die hard fan. I honestly have never heard of anyone with quite a routine like that – taping the game and then watching it after he knows the outcome. This is great stuff.

Loved the ending “Well, we never speak of that.”

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you guys!