Didn’t you write that?

People who know me well know that I like to sing- not good at it and not in a choir or anything- just sing around the house or at school.  I also make up songs by changing words to common tunes.

So when my daughter was born almost 9 years ago I was always singing to her.  Well known lullabies, songs from commercials, songs from the radio and of course songs that I made up.

Most of those songs I don’t sing anymore, or have forgotten with the exception of 3.  And these 3 songs now are sung in a row when we sing them.  One is a well known lullaby or song (You are my Sunshine), one is a song (more like a quick sing songy rhyme) and one is part of an old song that was featured in a commercial that played a lot during those newborn “up at any and all hours” times.

These songs still come up when her and I are having our bedtime ritual of me tucking her in and us talking a bit because she often asks me to tell her stories about when she was a baby.  And she knows that part of her bedtime routine when she was little was a book or two on the rocking chair and me singing those songs to her.  She knew I made up the little sing songy rhyme and I thought/figured she knew that the other songs were real and written by someone else but I found out about a month ago that she didn’t.

I forgot what exactly happened but she heard someone else (not in our family or our friends- apparently she must have thought I taught them all the “song” I wrote) singing “You are My Sunshine” to their child or something.  So she was all excited when she told me and I was like “yes, a lot of moms and dads sing that to their kids!”

“But mom that’s your song!”

“Yes that’s our song that we sing.”

“But it’s yours right?”

“Huh?”

“Didn’t you write that song? Didn’t you write You Are My Sunshine?”

Sorry kiddo, unfortunately I didn’t..  Wish I did but my songs aren’t that good.

She honestly had no idea

Side Fact:  After she asked me that, I had to look it up.  The author of You are My Sunshine was Jimmie Davis.  Your little tidbit of knowledge for the day.

3 thoughts on “Didn’t you write that?