3/9 August kindergarten in March

One of the things I love about Kindergarten is when March rolls around. At this time of the school year routines are down, kids are settled in and becoming more independent and light bulbs are going off everywhere. School is a habit, we are in a good place.
August in kindergarten is a whole other beast!
You have a classroom full of 5 or possibly 4 year olds ( as long as they are born on or before September 1st) ranging from I can read at a 2nd grade level to I have never held a pencil before. From I’ve had experience being away from mom for years now being in preschool to my mom still does everything for me. The gap is huge and we don’t usually find this out until school starts. This is why it is easy for me to forget it with each passing day.

March is always the place I remind myself about when August rolls around. I know we’ll get there- we always do; just have to hang in there. Every year, as August gets farther away the memory of it does too.  Doesn’t matter how many years it’s been..  I’m on year 8 in kindergarten and it has happened every year.. except this year..

This year is a bit different. Yes, it is like the usual March with lightbulbs going off and kids reading and sounding out words and counting and adding and subtracting BUT it is still August in the sense that these kiddos now that they are in school two days a week, many who have never been in school or away from mom, don’t understand what to do/how to act in school (line up, follow directions, wait your turn).

I’m hopeful that we are almost in “September Kindergarten”.  And I really do realize that  they really haven’t been in the classroom that much this year. Just trying to get my March Kindergarten brain to remember and play nice with my August Kindergarten brain is a struggle. There is definitely some fighting going on up there. I’m hoping they’ll start to get along soon.