So Glad I Finally Did It

March 11

I do not like cleaning.  I like a clean house but don’t like to be the one who gets it there.  My sisters got my mom’s cleaning gene..  I did not.

My house is clean.  I pick it up and do the “quick clean” but the “good” bathroom cleaning and flooring mopping and “move the knick knack” dusting kind of stuff I always put off as long as I could.

Many people I know have a cleaning lady and would always tell me that I should get one.  My argument was always that I am capable so why should I hire one, I just don’t like to do it, not that I can’t.

But their response was..

That is true but think of it this way. Both you and your husband work full time jobs, you have a busy 9 year old and a dog.  Weekends are more fun (and more importantly should be) spent on family time, not cleaning.  So if you can afford it, why not treat yourself.  And they can just do the “big” cleaning stuff you don’t like to do.  You will love it!

I agree that it would be nice to have some “cleaning free” time on the weekend; Not to mention a really clean house.  But where do I find someone I trust to be in my house and someone who will do a good job.  My friends who had good people did not live close enough to share their person..

So I waited and unhappily “big cleaned” for a few more months and then for a few more years.

Then one day I was talking to my aunt and she mentioned how she cleans my cousin’s house, twice a month, just the “big stuff” and they pay her.  It is nice for her because she is single and retired and on a fxed income so it gives her a little extra cash and stuff to keep her busy and she likes to clean.

Ding!  The lightbulb went off.  Maybe she would want to clean my house..  It’d be perfect.  I know her, I trust her, she cleans well, lives near me and if I’m going to be giving someone money I’d rather it be her because I know she could use and would appreciate it.

One year later (minus Covid time when I was stuck at home) she is still cleaning my house every other Thursday, including today!

My friends were right…  I LOVE IT.  As I type this in my super clean kitchen, I LOVE IT.  And she does things above and beyond what I ask her..  organizes the tupperware cabinet, cleans the small fish tank, cleans the refrigerator if it needs it… etc..  We definitely pay her more than she asked for and it is definitely worth it.  So glad I finally did it!

3 thoughts on “So Glad I Finally Did It

1. I want to find a cleaning lady so bad, but I struggle with trusting someone in the home when we are at work. With the kids home this year I thought it would be a good time, but they said they didn’t want someone cleaning when they are “in classes”. UGH!

2. I love it too!! A good cleaning person can change your life. I am glad you are treating yourself to that. You deserve it.

3. My kids are tornadoes, some days I have no idea why I even clean. I look forward to having someone else do a deep clean, too. I avoid showers and bathrooms like the plague.