Backseat driver

march 21
Even though she is just almost 10, my daughter Reese has started to become interested in driving. She doesn’t ask to drive nor am I worried she’ll take the car out for a joyride but recently she likes to ask questions about stuff in the car or rules of the road.

She’s got the basics down because she used to rock a sweet Barbie Jeep back in the day and thanks to her stepdad she’s driven (with his assistance of course) a golf cart and 4 wheeler.

I recently got a new car so she’s been really interested in things of late because it looks so different from my other car.   Like she’s asked about what the N means, she figured in her own about the D and R.  She’s asked about why I turned right when the light was red. And why I couldn’t turn left in the same situation.

Today while driving to the grocery store she asked about the speedometer. It is one of those where the speed you are going is digital. She’s got a perfect view of it from the backseat.  So I told her what it meant and then we talked about the speed limit signs and then she saw one on the road and that’s when it all started…

“Mom! The speed limit is 40 and you are going 43!”

”Yes I see that but it is close enough, sometimes your speed goes a little past it.  It’s hard to keep right on the exact number” (wait until she sees me on expressway 😬)

”Mom you need to slow down and go 40!”

I slowed down but then I was going 38.

”Mom, why are you not going 40?  You can go faster!”

”Again Reese, it’s hard to go exactly 40, so sometimes I’m a number or 2 lower or higher.”

And this is how it went on the whole way there.  Laser eyes would see the new speed limit sign and correct me before I even had a chance to slow down or accelerate!

I hoped our long grocery trip made her forget and move on to something else besides driving or at least another driving situation.  But nope she was right on me the whole way home.

Im glad she’s such a rule follower and I hope she follows this rule when she’s a driver but until then it’s gonna be a long 6 years with my backseat driver!

6 thoughts on “Backseat driver

1. This is great! My youngest did the same thing at that age. He doesn’t really like it when I question his driving speed…what goes around comes around!

2. Haha- I love this post. I can picture the Barbie jeep and loved the line about the laser eyes. Good luck with your new backseat driver. 🙂

3. It will be a long six years, but it will go so quickly. I find myself more aware of my driving beacause I want them to be safe drivers. I try not to be distracted and don’t look at my phone.
    I have been using GPS through bluetooth. I guess this is what we have to do now. We can’t be the “do what I say, not as I do”. The thought of them all driving is scary!!

4. This is adorable! My 5 year old is obsessed with the signs on the side of the road. Each trip is peppered with, “That means there’s a road to the side.” “Look, there is a lane that will merge with us.” “What does that one mean?” It’s funny how they suddenly become interested in driving!

5. You should be signing up for the StateFarm Drive Safe and Save promotion LOL. You’re gonna be the one going 2 mph under the rest of your life now. Wait til she finds out about the E light for gas! 😂