Happily Today

Day 6

About 9 years ago one of my best friends was going through a divorce and moved into her own place.  I , at the time, was also in an unhappy marriage but wasn’t quite at the point of divorce, or should I say wasn’t “brave” enough to make that giant step.

My friends and I (there are 7 of us total who have this amazing bond that goes back in some cases to grade school- I am so incredibly lucky) of course helped her with the new move and gifted her some “housewarming gifts” together.  But I threw in an extra gift that I saw that I thought would be meaningful to her and subconsciously probably was hoping for me as well.    It was a sign that said It’s Never to Late to Find your Happily Ever After. It hung in her bedroom for years.

3 years later I finally made the brave decision to end my marriage as well.  I moved my daughter and I into a townhome and once again the same friends helped me move in and get settled.  My friend who divorced 3 years earlier was now in a great relationship, with a great guy (who is now her husband), came by one day right after I moved in on her own and brought me the sign I gave to her.  She said she knows it is kind of a “re-gift” but said she didn’t think she needed it anymore and thought I could.  I loved that she passed it along and it hung in my new home for many years.

About 2-3 years ago, a good friend of mine made her brave decision to end an unhappy marriage.  She moved herself into a new place and I knew what I had to do.  I called my friend who passed the sign along to me ) and asked if she would mind if I pass the sign (that was originally hers) on to my friend since I too did not need it any longer.  I too found my happily ever after.  She, like me, thought it was the best idea.  During one of the first days she moved into her new place I brought it to her and told her the story.  I think she appreciated it.  I hoped she would find the luck and happiness and love that the sign had brought me and my friend.

Last night I met my friend’s boyfriend and today I thought about the sign.

She has said that she has been so happy with him and last night was no different.  I could see her happiness for myself!

Did she finally find her happily ever after?  Who knows??  Doesn’t matter. She found her happily today.

To me that is the beginning in showing her happiness is out there.  My friend and I started our happily ever after by finding happily todays.  They didn’t all turn into “ever afters”, but they showed us that it is out there, there is hope.

I know one day she will pass along that sign to a needy friend because she won’t need it anymore.  When?  Who knows, but happily today is a great start.

4 thoughts on “Happily Today

1. That’s a nifty rethought notion: the availability of “happily today” as opposed to the probably unattainable permanence of “happily ever after.”

2. I love this!! Sometimes, that’s all a friend needs! I love that you are passing along independence and celebrating it. Getting out of a bad marriage is so hard! Great job being brave and passing that bravery to your friend as well!

3. I LOVE “Happily Today”! Even though I am married and most of my days are wonderful, I feel like the Happily Today could refer to a lot of other aspects in my life. I also love that this sign has become a symbol of hope for future happiness.

4. You are such a kind, caring friend. I love the tradition of passing on the sign. Your friend sounds like she’s in a great place!