March Madness

Day 17- Happy March Madness Day!

I am not really a basketball fan.  I really have no interest in watching professional basketball and usually you won’t find me watching college basketball…  EXCEPT during March Madness.

Prior to March 2003 I probably couldn’t have told you what March Madness was all about.  That first March 2003 my ex-husband, who was my new boyfriend at the time asked if I wanted to go to Vegas for March Madness.  I heard Vegas and was in.  He and his friends would watch the games and I would gamble and meet them once in awhile to hang out.

The next year we went again and this time I was a little more interested and bet on a game or 2 with him.

Over the years I started to get into it a little more and more.. He is a Michigan State graduate and a big Spartan fan.  They usually make an appearance in the games so it got to be more fun having a team to cheer for.  Also I started getting into the brackets (always up for a fun gambling opportunity :)).

A few years later, Michigan State was in the Elite Eight and they were playing in Indianapolis.  At the last minute he wanted to go and just find tickets on the street.  I wasn’t sure if I really wanted to go sit and watch the whole game and all that but I ended up giving in and we got a last minute room and went for the day/night..  IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!  The game, the atmosphere in Indy..  and they won!  It was an upset against Louisville (I think, red team- definitely an upset though)!

The next time we went back to Indy they made the Final Four!  That was awesome!  Every final four team gets assigned a bar where fans could go and party together!  It was a blast!  Unfortunately they lost..

For the years that we didn’t go to the games in Indy or to watch them in Vegas we were always meeting up after work for the first Thursday and Fridays games.  I became such a fan..  A fan of March Madness- not the rest of the basketball season- just March Madness.  And easily a Michigan State fan.  March Madness Seasons were some of the most fun times in our marriage!  Still love the brackets- have never won and do not do much research but it is so much fun to see how long I can “stay alive”.

I’m no longer married to the Michigan State Alum but so happy he introduced me to March Madness and made me a Michigan State Fan.  Each year I do 2 brackets.  I always pick Michigan State to win (if they are playing) no matter what so I can hopefully cheer them on to the end.

Such a fun time of the year!!!  They play tomorrow..  So so far I am still in it!  Go Spartans!!

6 thoughts on “March Madness

1. Too funny! I wondered why you all of a sudden were excited about basketball!! Now I know. Sounds like you have some great memories.

2. I joined a school pool on Tuesday. I do not watch basketball at all, but I have already won. Nothing like putting some money into something to make you pay attention. It is a fun vibe! I’m glad

3. I love that you are still a hard core Michigan State fan. I actually have one of their hoodies, too, so now I can come over and hang out this month!