Chocolate Ice Cream

I just had a kindergarten student return to school today after a 10 day trip to Hawaii.  When I had a quick minute with him I asked him what his favorite part of the whole trip was..

His answer: The chocolate ice cream!- such a kindergarten answer! I love it..

So I asked him (without downplaying his answer or prompting/giving him ideas such as the beach or maybe they went snorkeling etc..) that was REALLY the best part?

His answer (while quickly realizing there was something better!): “No, no, no THE SPRINKLES on the chocolate ice cream!”- Gotta love it!!

I told him that sounded delicious and he was a lucky kiddo!

It totally brought me back to the memory of the first time I brought my daughter, who was weeks away from turning 5 at the time, to Disney World.  And now that I am thinking about it I may have even sliced about it back then..

Now it wasn’t her favorite part, but we did spend A LOT of time looking for animals or birds or bugs or who knows in the pretty little flower/bushes/mulch throughout the parks.  I mean what else as there to look at or do?? AT DISNEY WORLD..  and mind you she is NOT a bird, bug, animal type of kiddo and never really did this at home.. But it was her vacation too and we just let her do her thing…  One day I remember snapping a picture of her and sending it to the  group chat with my best girlfriends with the caption..  “Glad we spent thousands to come to Disney World so she could look and play in the mulch!”

The responses I got.. which CRACKED me up and then made me not feel so bad..

“My son’s favorite part of Disney trip was the small indoor pool at the hotel we stayed at on the drive down..”

“My daughters like to follow the geese at the zoo, not look at the animals, follow the geese which we see in our neighborhood daily that they have no interest in.”

All definitely 5/6 year old kind of things..  love the simple things they find pleasure/joy in..

And to be honest who knows..  I have NEVER been to Hawaii.  I have NEVER had chocolate ice cream with sprinkles from Hawaii. so maybe if I ever go to Hawaii the chocolate ice cream with sprinkles will be my favorite part too..

7 thoughts on “Chocolate Ice Cream

1. You gotta love the things the littles say. It’s a reminder that kids don’t need much- just our time and attention. ( and some chocolate ice cream with sprinkles)

2. I love this! When my kids were little, I was reminded by a good friend with older kids that I should save as much as I could when they are little. To them, every little thing can be an adventure. It is when they are older that things get expensive. I am so glad I listened to that advice. We made lots of good (cheap) memories 🙂

3. Gotta love the innocence of a child! And you’re right, maybe just maybe it truly is the best chocolate ice cream!