Day 16- I’ve had the time of my life!

Heard that song just the other day!

Dirty Dancing!

A decent movie.

Not my favorite.  Wouldn’t even make top 25 of all time faves.

Not one I would seek out or choose to watch on movie night.

BUT if I do see it is on as I am searching the channel guide AND it is toward the end I will turn it on!

I will turn it on for the ending- The BIG DANCE SCENE-  I don’t know why.  I was never a dancer so it is not like I am appreciating the moves and choreography, although they do a good job dancing.  The song is not my favorite, it is not on my playlist.  I really only like it because of the part of this part of the movie.  And unless I am listening to it while watching the movie I would probably turn the channel.  BUT it is just something that draws me in.  It also, unbeknownst to any of us at the time, draws my friends in and has become a funny story between four of us ever since.

Many many years back, 3 of my closest friends and I decided to spend the weekend in Chicago so we got a hotel room so we could hit some bars and neighborhood festivals and enjoy the city for a few days.  On Saturday morning we were all getting ready to venture out for the day so we turned on the tv.  Dirty Dancing was on and that was an easy choice for background noise.

We were all at different stages of getting ready when the BIG DANCE SCENE came on.  I, of course, stopped fixing my hair and walked over to watch it, brush still in hand.  By the time it was over all 4 of us, without any prompting from each other, were standing, staring at the tv watching Johnny lift Baby over his head as they finally nailed the big lift!  I with my brush still in hand.  Another friend mid tooth brushing.  Another holding an iron in her hand and the last with dripping wet hair right out of the shower.  No one talked or acknowledged each other until it was over!  It was like we were all drawn in and HAD to watch!

When we all “came to” it was a funny sight to see.  We all realized that day that we had yet another common bond- our love for the BIG DANCE SCENE in dirty dancing.

Every time I hear that song my mind goes right to the three of them and I smile and laugh inside thinking of that day, that moment.  AND if any of us ever find it on tv at that spot, you bet there will be a screen shot or short video of it sent on a group text between the 4 of us.

4 thoughts on “Day 16- I’ve had the time of my life!

1. What a great memory tied into that movie. I agree – I wouldn’t name it as a top 10 movie or anything … but if it’s on, I’m going to watch it!

2. Nobody puts Baby in the corner!! I love this memory and how you captured and shared it with us. Sounds like something my friends and I would do as well!