What’s the point?

On our way to a 3 year old birthday party we stopped at the gas station to get gas and of course my favorite- a fountain pop!
I saw the lottery scratch off machine and decided to get a few my friend, the birthday boy’s mom since her birthday was yesterday. Just a little something for her since we’d see her. My go-to birthday treat sometimes.
That’s when I saw it. A $5 scratch off ticket just sitting there un scratched.   It seemed like someone forgot it. No one else was in store. Guess it’s my lucky day!! Free chance to win!!

Nope. Once I looked closer the card was scratched. Scratched at the bottom only. The part where the barcode is that you have to scan to redeem a winner.

Someone bought the $5 ticket and was too lazy or didn’t care about taking the one minute to play the game and scratched the barcode area and scanned it, found out it was a loser (cuz I did check it of course to be sure 😊) and just left it there.

My thought was, what’s the point?  I know the ticket is already a winner or loser when you buy it but I like that one minute of suspense while I scratch off each spot to see if it is the lucky number I need OR even more exciting is scratching off the prize after you scratched the winning number!  Ok maybe not SO exciting but it’s fun to play the mini game so that’s why once in awhile I’ll buy one to try my luck.

Guess this gambler wasn’t interested  in the mini game.  To each his own. But again to me what’s the point? I guess it’s to try and win money!  Hope my friend is lucky today. And I hope she scratched more than the barcode!

5 thoughts on “What’s the point?

1. I love gifting people with lottery scratch offs too. It does open a mystery into the kind of character who’d go straight to the barcode scan and not enjoy the game. You have to be a pretty hardened scratcher to skip all the fun.

2. Scratching the whole thing is the best part. The anticipation of what you could win. When I was younger we knew the codes to whether or not we won or lost, so we would do that. I have since forgotten the codes, but I wouldn’t do that anyway. So much more fun to scratch it all. I also buy lotto for birthday presents, but I always get myself some too.

3. That was fun!!!
    Yesterday my TA gave me a card and inside she gave me 2 lottery scratching cards… no win tickets for me… maybe next time 🙂

4. I love that you gift the scratch off tickets for birthdays! The competitor in me can’t do that! I would be so annoyed that the ticket I gave away was a winner and mine wasn’t! Yeah, I would rather just give them $5 and they can go buy their own tickets! LOL

5. I have been in line behind these fanatical “bottom code scratchers”. I might go so far as to assume there may be a gambling problem involved. But then again, time IS money!