Bedtime? What Bedtime?

Last night I had to stay late at school for a PTO meeting.  My husband was going to grab Reese from the sitter and be with her for the evening.  I walked into the house around 9:15.  At first I just saw him..

“Wow,” I thought, “She is actually sleeping or at least in bed!”

2 seconds later I hear the footsteps, followed by “Mommy!!”, finished off with a giant hug!

“What are you doing up?”

“Playing Barbie’s.  Come on mommy I need you!” pulling me toward the playroom.

“We can play Barbie’s tomorrow,  It’s late, time for bed.”

Whining and crying ensues..  I get to be the bad guy.

When my husband is in charge (i.e. I’m not home) bedtime is whenever she falls asleep or I get home and put her to bed.  He doesn’t even usually try to attempt bedtime by having her put on her pajamas or even just turning down the lights.

When I inquire about her still being up his answer is either, (acting shocked) “Oh it didn’t seem this late (i.e. distracted by phone, work or sports- last night it was basketball)” or  (acting like he gave it the old college try) “I told her to go to bed but she didn’t.” (she is 4 she is not just going to put herself to bed) or “She refused!” (aren’t YOU the parent and one in charge??)  Pretty certain he doesn’t want to deal with the process of getting her to bed (which sometimes involves tears)so he relies on her falling asleep on her own or me coming to the rescue.  Tonight I came to the rescue

BUT it turned out pretty well after all.  I got to snuggle and fall asleep with her.  Can’t be unhappy about that.