Day 28-Birthday Meals

On April 8th my daughter will turn 12.  We have a small family but we will have a get together nonetheless and invite a few family friends over as well.  Each year we do this she gets to pick what she wants us to serve as a meal to everyone.  Last year we did burgers and homemade fries.  In the past we have done  chicken parmesan and homemade alfredo noodles (one of her faves).  So this year I asked her and it sounded fine to me but last night my husband inquired and he is struggling with the choice.

She wants Grandma Brunke’s homemade ravioli (her absolute favorite- and it’s really sweet because she never got a chance to know my husband’s mom-her stepdad-because she passed away before she was born and way before him and I got together but she has tasted many of her recipes and knows a lot about her and refers to her as Grandma Brunke).  John loves this idea.  We will have to spend this Sunday making some more as we are out but we like to do that so that is not the issue.

The issue is she also wants smash burgers and homemade fries.  Both delicious as well..

His problem is that those things don’t traditionally go together.  He is pushing for either dropping the ravioli and just having the burgers and fries OR dropping the burger and fries and having chicken parmesan and ravioli. He just keeps saying “They just don’t go together, we can’t do it”

I don’t think it is a big deal.  We are not trying to impress anyone with this fancy meal..  We know everyone coming and everyone will have something they like.  It is her choice.  He just can’t get past it and I think it is funny..

He has not brought this up to her yet but it doesn’t matter because I know in the end, no matter how much it bothers him we will still have ravioli and smash burgers and homemade fries because it is her birthday and that’s what she wants..

One thought on “Day 28-Birthday Meals

1. Despite not meeting her, I love that she still has a connection to Grandma Brunke through all of the love she poured into her meals.