Welcome to My world

Last night I got an enjoyable look at my daily life as a teacher, while watching my daughter participate in a sports class for 4 to 6 year olds!  Every day I am lucky enough to spend my hours with 5 and 6 year olds.  Yep!  Kindergarten!  And although I am there every day and I know what I say and what they say, and how they act and how I act is was interesting and entertaining to see “myself” in action!

I was watching this coach try and teach an intro to soccer class to about twelve 4 or 5 year olds when I realized that I was kind of watching me.  I found myself smiling the whole time, and not just because I was a proud momma enjoying watching her daughter play and do a good job, but because I was seeing my daily conversations and interactions happening before my eyes.

Some verbal examples I could totally relate to..

Coach: Ok boys and girls I am going to see who is here.  When I call your name raise your hand.  Nolan?

No answer

Coach:  Is Nolan here?

4/5 yr old:  No one?  There are people here.  How can no one be here?

AND

Coach: We are going to play soccer today but every week we will practice a new sport in this gym.  What other sports do you think we will play in here?

4/5 yr old: Swimming!

Coach:  Well swimming is a sport but we will have a hard time swimming without water.  Any other sports you can think of?

4/5 yr old: You have to be nice.

Coach: Yes it is very important to be nice.  Any other sports?

I also enjoyed/could relate to the very explicit and repeated instructions the coach gave as well as the familiar hand gestures and phrases us primary teachers use.

The coach did a great job and I appreciated his ability to command a gym full of 4-5 year olds successfully without anyone getting hurt, lost, or crying, all the while trying to not “lose it” himself.

It seemed like all the parents got a kick out of it but apparently I seemed to be enjoying it a bit more because my husband made a comment about my continual smiling and chuckling.

“Welcome to my world!” is all I could say.

Welcome to my truly wonderful, amazing world.

5 thoughts on “Welcome to My world

1. This is great! I love the way you were able to sit back and watch the funny nuisances that you deal with on a daily basis. Thanks for including the great quotes!

2. Hahaha!!! I love the Nolan/no one confusion. So funny!!! I love this perspective. I teach middle school students. I don’t know if I could be in kindergarten. You have a tough job!! 🙂

3. Things only a kindergarten teacher would understand! I love the thing about swimming. Lol lol.

I don’t know how you keep a straight face sometimes, Lori.

4. This is an adorable and hilarious story! Your examples were cracking me up and yet you have those kinds of conversations all the time!

5. You are basically a saint- I am not positive I could teach kindergarten, although some of the things you experience, I do in 4th grade as well!

I love the part about the coach taking attendance… every teacher can relate!